Monday 6 June 2011

The Te Hana Trip!

Finally we come back from the Te Hana Trip, to be honest, I was a little rejected and was not keen to go this trip at all, but when we came back from it, this becomes the most exciting and unforgettable trip I have ever joined in New Zealand!
The three days and two night trip gave me a whole bunch of new experience and knowledge, I really appreciated that, and again, I really would like to say thank you to all Te Hana people and all organisers and lecturers from the university! A story of how one Maori tribe was originate, how they developed their community, what sort of pain they have suffered, what makes them keep trying, and their great aspirations for the future, these consisted all my memory for the trip, and these are simply just memorable treasures to my life!
Lovely people from Te Hana!
Back to the theme, I and other group members are focusing on incorporating Te Hana into Auckland Plan through economic aspect. So far, from my understanding, Te Hana is one Maori ethnicity based community with strong community cohesion and great aspiration, looking for economic development opportunities through advancing its strengths and improving or avoiding its weaknesses. Although before the trip, I have never heard of such a township, but it locates on one strategic advanced place – the northern most point of new Auckland city. It is also their willing to establish and promote Te Hana as the Northern Gateway of Auckland region. The reason for that is Te Hana is developing a cultural tourism village, with more recognition of Te Hana by Auckland, and the entire nation, cultural tourism is definitely their opportunity for economic development.

Regionally, I interpret the reform of governance is towards a city with more economic and community development opportunities. Auckland wants to add more economic growth, then it is the new council’s obligation of looking into the most possible successful sectors, and set them as pilot projects, through utilising of a bottom-up approach, enhance the economic contribution through promoting the economic development in certain areas. Investing before gaining benefits is what I think to be most necessary.
Overall, I think Te Hana’s cultural tourism village has great potential, once council has its full recognition and promotion to this, it will be able to contribute to Auckland’s economic development significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment